Wait a second. Wasn’t I promised that I could eat anything I want if I chose Invisalign!? Yes, you were. With braces, you have to stay away from any foods that are sticky, crunchy, or chewy – with Invisalign, that is all fair game. And really all foods can be had without much worry. At Dunegan&Cole we actually recommend that you keep your aligners in while you eat your meals – if this sounds weird, check out this blog post to understand why.
That being said, there are a few items that you may want to avoid in order to keep your Invisalign crystal clear. Your daily diet can not only stain teeth but also the aligners and attachments. So what food and drink items top this list? Keep scrolling.
- Coffee. Not only can it stain, but it’s very acidic. You definitely want to remove your aligners when drinking this sweet, sweet nectar because not only will it discolor your Invisalign aligners, any acidic liquid that gets trapped under the aligner and on your teeth can weaken the enamel over time. Be like me and remove our aligners and even consider sipping your cup of joe through a straw.
- Soft drinks. Pop, soda, Coke – whatever you call it, we recommend staying clear. This is one of the worst things to have with your aligners in and drastically increases your chances of developing cavities on all of your teeth. If you must indulge, we recommend taking your aligners out and brushing well OR at least swishing with some water before placing your aligners back in
- Red wine. Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Gris, Riesling – you are golden. For our reds, you will want to remove your aligners for the same reasons as coffee above.
- Turmeric. This middle eastern spice is typically found in hot beverages and delicious dishes. In my opinion, this spice is totally trending now, too. Because of the orange-like tint to this spice, not only should you remove your aligners while eating this, but this is one where you should try and rinse with some water before reinserting them.
- Saffron. This is another delicious spice that tastes great with risotto, but is not worth the yellowing it can cause on your pearly whites. Treat this like turmeric: remove your aligners while consuming and rinse with water (or even better – brush your teeth) before reinserting.
- Ginger. One last spice that is great for weight loss, but bad for staining. Treat this like turmeric too.